ModeFace to face Online Blended
Develop your ability to lead numeracy improvement within your school and network.
Numeracy Local Leaders will strengthen your pedagogical content knowledge, application of numeracy principles and methodologies, and support you to build strategies to lead numeracy improvement.
The program will build your confidence in using practices that promote and influence explicit and high-impact numeracy teaching.
The program is designed for area-based delivery, so you can collaborate and learn within your immediate network of peers.
Designed for primary and secondary mathematics teachers and leaders with strong practice in mathematics and numeracy, as well as teacher leaders such as leading teachers, learning specialists, professional learning community leads, primary maths and science specialist, numeracy and curriculum leaders.
Over 6 months, you are expected to engage in and contribute to:
• 6 face-to-face workshop days (36 hours)
• 3 online workshops (9 hours)
• asynchronous learning.
Core workships are delivered over 6 full days.
These sessions have an explicit focus on the pedagogical content knowledge, leadership skills, and dispositions that you will need to deepen your knowledge, model, and lead others in numeracy improvement strategies in your school and network.
Coaching workshops are delivered over three 3-hour sessions.
These workshops are an opportunity to receive support to undertake individual and team leadership projects.
Asynchrnous learning activities in your own time include exploring a range of resources and activities to support further learning including an applied learning project.
You will gain knowledge and understanding of:
- the leadership professional practices, capabilities and dispositions as they relate to specialised numeracy leadership in schools, how people build mathematics confidence and the evidence-based pedagogical practices for numeracy teaching
- how to connect numeracy and mathematics, problem solving, reasoning, calculation, fluency and procedures as well as formative assessment
- how to identify strategies and practices that develop self-empowered mathematics learners
- the features of high-quality professional learning and development which links to the annual implementation plan.
You will develop the skills to:
- further develop leadership approach to support numeracy improvement within their school setting
- reflect on existing instructional practices for numeracy
- use adaptive expertise to lead complex challenges in school settings
- develop and implement instructional improvement plans that improve teaching and enhance student learning and achievement
- provide ongoing feedback, assessment of understanding and skill acquisition
- structure rigorous inquiry into content, design and impact within different contexts
- facilitate and evaluate professional learning designed to improve teaching and learning
- influence explicit, high-impact numeracy teaching
- build strong connections within a network to learn, discuss and collaborate when implementing numeracy improvement approaches.
Fully subsidised by the Department of Education for Victorian government school participants.
- Expression of interest