Further develop your ability to analyse data to drive school performance and student improvement.
Data Literacy for School Leaders builds your understanding of the range of key data sets available through the Department of Education and supports you to make evidence-informed decisions to improve student outcomes.
You'll work collaboratively to learn how to analyse, synthesise and understand your own school data sets and identify key themes.
You'll explore how to validate these themes and use this as a basis to make informed decisions, be more strategic, and improve teacher practice and student outcomes.
Data Literacy for School Leaders is a workshop in the Strategic Management for School Leaders suite, which supports the Department of Education's commitment to lifting the organisational performance of schools.
Designed for Victorian government school principals along with members of their school leadership team who have responsibility for school improvement.
It is recommended that small to medium schools participate in teams of 2 or 3, and large or multi-campus schools participate in teams of up to 5.
Note: classroom teachers may attend alongside their principal.
Facilitators for Data Literacy for School Leaders are highly respected and experienced practitioners with both academic and practical expertise.
Silent Partners is committed to leadership and learning excellence. They provide leadership development, coaching and support for professionals in education, not-for-profit organisations and industry. They also facilitate the development of sound governance processes and have a long history in stakeholder and community consultation.
In this one-day session, you will:
- look briefly at how your data reflects your school’s performance story
- examine the human side of data analysis, including how to set up a psychologically safe environment, understand cognitive bias and strategies for mitigating bias
- learn how a School Performance Report is constructed
- examine case study data (Differentiated School Performance Report, School Summary Report and the Supplementary School Level Report) and unpack key data sets
- use a data planner to analyse your data, determine main messages and how these might inform your strategic planning.
Prior to the workshop, you'll need to watch two short video clips relating to Understanding the “Why” of your school, and Naplan Benchmark Growth data.
You'll also need to download the following school documentation to bring to the workshop:
- (Differentiated) School Performance Report
- Supplementary School Level Report (the Panorama Supplementary School Level Report)
- School Summary Report (from the School Information Portal)
- Staff Opinion Survey (optional)
- Attitudes to School Report (optional)
You'll have the opportunity to arrange a time to meet with a regional data coach for more support after completion of the course.
You’ll gain knowledge and understanding of:
- how to lead a data-informed conversation about school improvement
- analysing key data sets that inform planning for school-wide improvement
- how to identify and explore key themes emerging from your school’s datasets.
The course fees are significantly subsidised by the Department of Education.
Co-contribution: $100 (GST-free) for each Victorian government school participant.
For more information about fees and subsidies, see Fees and financial support.
Strategic Management Program Lead
- View dates and register