Ignite your school leadership by harnessing the transformative power of cognitive science and neuroscience.
Unlocking the Science of Learning will immerse you in the latest evidence-base on how the brain works and how to leverage this knowledge to improve student learning. As a school leader, you will be able to improve your own communication using these insights.
You will engage in informative modules that quickly and easily support you in making meaningful change to your day-to-day instructional leadership practices.
Collaborate with peers to implement micro-projects that apply the best parts of your learning to areas relevant to your role and context without increasing your workload.
Leave feeling empowered with up-to-date knowledge and experience in implementing the principles of the science of learning.
Designed for Victorian government school leaders including system leaders, principals, assistant principals and middle leaders including leading teachers and learning specialists who play a clear role in their school as an instructional leader; a leader of teaching, learning and wellbeing.
Co-designed and delivered by leading academic and neuroscientist Dr Jared Cooney Horvath in collaboration with principal leaders, Simone Eirth, Principal in Residence at the Academy, and Michelle Miller, principal consultant and former school principal.
The course includes 5 modules:
Module 1: Foundations of thinking – how the brain makes reality: 3 ideas of how we learn new things
Module 2: 3 learning principles you can apply tomorrow
Module 3: How to apply and track your ideas
Module 4: 4 principles: match context to outcome; spaced practice; multi-tasking impairs memory; embracing errors to improve learning
Module 5: 4 more principles: find the story behind the facts; pre-activate ideas to guide learning; recall is key to forming deep memories; mix-up practice to boost performance
Over 12 weeks, you are expected to engage and contribute to:
- 5 live online workshops and group learning sessions (6 hours)
- 3 self-directed online learning modules (5 hours) which include video content and discussion forums, and optional guided note taking, recognition quizzes and free-recall exercises.
- 3 micro-projects (3 hours) – specific and achievable applications to practice designed to fit with your existing work rather than adding to it.
- build an understanding of the modern science of learning
- apply key concepts and principles to your leadership practice within your context
- explore evidence-based teaching strategies that enhance student learning and engagement
- discover how to identify and address common barriers to effective learning
Fully subsidised by the Department of Education for Victorian government school participants.
- View dates and register