Improve your ability to proactively deal with conflict and challenging behaviours.
Navigating Conflict focuses on the mechanisms at play in difficult situations and provides opportunities to explore personal experiences, as well as learn and practice behaviours that support positive outcomes in difficult scenarios.
You will explore common responses to conflict, how to manage challenging responses to conflict, and provides you with strategies to avoid conflict escalation.
Designed for Victorian government school staff, senior education improvement leaders and corporate people managers who wish to improve their ability to manage difficult situations and challenging behaviour in their respective contexts.
If you are from a non-government school and are interested in participating, please contact the course coordinator to discuss eligibility.
Developed and facilitated by Bonnie Miller from Dispute Settlement Centre Victoria.
This course comprises a full-day workshop and approximately 1 hour of pre-workshop activities. Post-workshop support and resources will also be provided.
Over the full-day workshop you will:
- explore the nature of difficult situations and how we react to them
- examine the connection between intent and impact in difficult situations
- explore the DiSC personal assessment tool to recognise similarities and differences in behaviour and communication styles
- learn how to change perspectives in conflict scenarios
- learn the fundamentals of collaborative communication
- learn and practice ways to respond to criticism
- explore common conflict response styles
- examine a model that demonstrates effective responses to conflict
- learn how to respond to difficult complainant behaviour.
Prior to the session, you will need to complete:
- a DiSC personal assessment tool questionnaire
- a reflection exercise related to a current conflict scenario.
Post-workshop activities and support
You will have the opportunity to stay online after the workshop for a 30-minute session to discuss any personal conflict scenarios with the trainer.
The Learner Guide will support your ongoing learning and can be used for future reference.
You will gain knowledge and understanding of:
- a behaviour model to guide you through conflict situations
- the nature of difficult situations
- the DiSC personal assessment tool
- Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Response Styles.
You will develop the skills to:
- change perspectives in conflict scenarios
- engage in collaborative communication
- respond assertively to difficult situations
- respond effectively to conflict and criticism
- identify and manage challenging behaviour.
The course fees are significantly subsidised by the Department of Education.
Co-contribution: $200 (GST free) for each Victorian government school participant.
For more information about fees and subsidies, see Fees and financial support.
Strategic Management Program Lead
- View dates and register