FeesDET Fully Subsidised
Develop a strong cross-disciplinary literacy culture in your secondary school
Enhancing Literacy across Secondary Disciplines focuses on unpacking the knowledge and capabilities required of educators to lead literacy improvement.
You will explore ways to create a coherent and consistent whole-school approach to cross-disciplinary literacy teaching and learning.
This course has been developed for the secondary school context.
You will leave with a deeper understanding of how to empower teachers to effectively support students to develop as literate people.
Enhancing Literacy across Secondary Disciplines is part of our Literacy Suite, which also includes Leading Literacy; Literacy Local Leaders; Literacy Master Trainer; and Literacy Data, Assessment and Practice.
Designed for teacher leaders in Victorian government secondary schools. Participants could include:
- literacy leaders
- learning specialists
- literacy coordinators
- curriculum development leaders with responsibility for influencing literacy improvement.
If you are from a non-government school and are interested in participating, refer to our expression of interest process.
Facilitators are highly respected and experienced practitioners with both academic and practical expertise.
Keay Cobbin and Steve Willy from Wilcob Education Consulting have had long careers as teachers and leaders in Victorian schools and are now consultants focusing on literacy and leadership in education. They provide professional learning for teachers, coaches and school leaders to provide high quality professional learning to achieve the best outcomes for all students.
Over a school year, you are expected to engage in and contribute to:
- 4 virtual workshops (4 days)
- coaching (approximately 1 hour)
- self-directed learning (90 minutes per workshop)
The virtual workshops are delivered over 4 days.
Workshops will explore key areas including:
- establishing a whole-school literacy culture
- supporting and leading literacy implementation in all disciplines
- reimagining secondary schooling, building on current research around curriculum and pedagogy.
Coaching is available to support you to implement your learning.
Self-directed learning activities in your own time (up to 90 minutes per workshop) include:
- content readings and/or video
- contributing to online discussion boards
- collaborating with your peers both online and in your school to implement learnings.
You’ll learn how to:
- apply new knowledge and techniques to effectively lead successful literacy teaching and learning in all disciplines
- strategically align professional development with the identified literacy needs of your colleagues
- reimagine new directions for secondary schooling based on recent research and your own experience.