FeesDET Fully Subsidised
Use coaching methodologies to support school leaders develop their professional skills.
Coaching with Confidence will equip you to be a workplace instructional coach, support internal professional skill building in real time and reduce dependencies on external coaching and training services.
This course is designed to develop your ability to coach others in one-on-one sessions and guide best practice in teaching and leadership, learning and operational activities.
It will assist you to support others to perform at expected levels and achieve improved productivity, and build capability and capacity to support school improvement initiatives.
Designed for Victorian government school principals, assistant principals and others in formal leadership roles, such as leading teachers and learning specialists.
If you are from a non-government school and are interested in participating, refer to our expression of interest process.
This course is delivered over 4 to 6 weeks and comprises:
- pre-reading (approximately 6 hours)
- three 4-hour online workshops
- post-course activities, including one-on-one coaching (approximately 9 hours)
You will undertake curated reading to establish foundational knowledge of instructional coaching for teaching and leadership practice.
You will explore:
- the purpose and nature of coaching
- models to support coaching practice (the coaching framework)
- tools to plan and conduct effective coaching conversations
- how to model appropriate behaviours as a coaching tool
- how to support a coaching culture in your school.
You will learn how to:
- improve practice and efficacy in schools
- work with the school’s annual improvement cycle to embed coaching practices
- develop relational trust with the people you coach
- recognise and address coaching challenges
- overcome objections.
You will learn how to:
- identify coaching needs
- plan one-on-one instructional coaching sessions
- conduct coaching
- hold coaching conversations
- provide feedback.
Using the coaching model, you will plan, deliver and evaluate the success of coaching in your workplace.
Workplace implementation is supported by one-on-one coaching from a highly experienced and skilled coach, available for up to 3 months after the last workshop.
You will also have access to a range of resources and tools.
You’ll gain knowledge and understanding of how to:
effectively coach others one-on-one in the workplace
build and support internal capability and sustainable coaching practice.
You’ll develop the skills to:
have coaching conversations with others to influence and lead improvement change in their school
coach participants to sustain their learning in their school context.
At the end of the course, you will be equipped with the skills, knowledge and tools to be an effective coach and support teaching excellence and leadership practice.
Fully subsidised by the Department of Education and Training for Victorian government schools.